Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Arrivals and Departures

when i find myself in the middle of the holidays (like i am now), i always wonder if the greater kansas city area is more of an arrival destination or a departure point. are there more people leaving here or coming here? could cheaper gas prices cause a mass exodus? sometimes a long absent customer will walk into homer's like a silent movie actor walking onstage. if i don't remember his or her name i'll say "hey stranger!" and the prodigal patron gives me a knowing look. this buys me time to gather my thoughts and retrieve a name from the same mental vault that holds movie and music trivia (i.e. the number of eggs paul newman eats in 'cool hand luke' or the last concert venue buddy holly played).

4 comments:

Ross Polete said...

Ewww.... Ewwww.... Mr. Carter!!! Pick me..... Surf Ball Room!!!! I think that is in IOWA. Ewww... Ewww.... Why do we have to count eggs. This is not going to be on a test is it? Because if it is, I think we have a failure to communicate...(and my favorite movie quote of all time).

Now that dar is funny right there, I don't care who you are!

dave said...

you are correct ross... the surf ballroom is in the northern reaches of iowa. and paul newman's character ate 50 eggs in one hour. my personal best was 30 eggrolls.

Ross Polete said...

Wow 30 eggs. Don't think I would even want to try. Check out my blog when you get a chance, there is an entry for you there.

Ross Polete said...

No, I am going to surprise you. Spent sometime listening to Tom Waits. The first song that I listen to sounded like the Cookie Monster was singing, but I after listening to several of his songs I think that I will give him the thumbs up. I will have to find some more tunes and add him to my library. Thanks for the new/old music.